The Animal Production Research Institute (APRI) dates back to 1908 when an independent Animal Breeding Section was formed. Its responsibilities were limited to applied research and activities related to buffalo, cattle and equine breeding. Since 1921, it has been affiliated with the Ministry of Agriculture as a Branch for Animal Breeding. In 1939, the branch was transformed into the Department of Animal and Poultry Breedign, and then into the Departement of Animal Production in 1944. In 1952, it was converted into the General Departement of Animal Production, and in 1971, when the General Authority for Agricultural Research (which became the Agricultural Research Center(ARC) in 1983) was formed, APRI became one of its research institutes.